Sunday, March 16, 2008

St. Patrick's Day Poems: A Wee Bit o' Fun

Shamrock
Find a shamrock,
green and bright.
God be with you
day and night.

People often confuse the shamrock with the four-leaf clover. While the four-leaf clover symbolizes good luck, Irish legend says that St. Patrick used the shamrock to demonstrate the principle behind the Trinity (an important doctrine in Christianity), therefore shamrocks have more significance as a religious symbol than a symbol of good luck.

The Blarney Kiss
I always kiss me parents,
I even kiss me sis—Eeew!
I kiss me Great Aunt Erin,
And Uncle Patrick too.
But of all the kisses I’ve given
including those I’ve blown,
The kiss I like to give the most
is the one on the Blarney Stone.


The Blarney Stone is an actual piece of stone in the Blarney Castle, near Cork, Ireland. According to legend, those who kiss the stone are blessed with eloquence, meaning they become skilled at flattery.

A St. Patty’s Day Fib
Green
Shamrocks
Leprechauns
Kiss the Blarney Stone
Don’t you just love St. Gomer’s Day?


For more fun fibs, go to Gregory K.’s blog here.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!