Friday, May 18, 2007

FRIDAY FUNNIES: Kids’ Jokes

I get such a kick out of hearing jokes from kids. A child's sense of humor is so uninhibited and fresh when it comes to creating jokes. And I love it when a child tells me a joke because they tell them like they're being told for the first time in history (even if its an old favorite). Telling jokes helps kids to develop confidence, engage in dialogue, develop a sense of timing with speech, and validates the fact that they can have something positive to offer to others.

When I was a Montessori teacher, my kindergarten students loved the knock-knock joke about the banana:

Knock-knock.
Who's there?
Banana.
Banana who?
Knock-knock.
Who's there?
Banana.
Banana who?

Knock-knock.
Who's there?
Orange.
Orange who?
Orange you glad I didn't say banana again?

What was so funny though, was that they'd never get to the orange part. The kids would double over in laughter at the thought of a banana knocking on the door. Who needs a punchline with these kids? But then a year passes, and suddenly, kids start to "get" jokes.

On that note, I’d like to share some (unaltered) jokes that students recently gave me while I was visiting elementary schools.

What part of the chicken is the most musical?
The drumstick (ha-ha-ha-ha-ha).

Where did the pig like to drive?
Weaner Schnitchel!!!!!

What did the pig like to drive?
A ham-burghini (ha!)

What is a teacher’s favorite food?
Paste.

Why was the broccoli embarrassed?
Because he saw the ranch dressing.

Very funny, very cute! Keep it up, kids!