Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Back from Ventura and Easy Reader Workshop

I had a great time giving my workshop on The ABCs of Writing EZ Readers. We had a nice turnout and everyone was eager to learn about this often overlooked, but oh-so-important genre. I always welcome the opportunity to share my views on easy readers with folks.

I can't say enough about how important it is to write beginning readers that kids can actually READ with MINIMAL FRUSTRATION. It's so important to challenge young readers but not so much that it turns them off to reading.

So, a big thanks to the Ventura/Santa Barbara SCBWI for inviting me to present the workshop. And an especially big thanks to Kathryn Hunley, Joan Bransfield Graham, and Jody Fickes Shapiro for making it a fabulous day (oh--and Yuki Yoshino for helping out with book sales!).